Friday, October 3, 2008

My Great Disarray.

I had some great surprises at the start of this year. Cheatham County offered an in service that was actually interesting and pertained to my area and the participants received a digital camera! A nice digital camera. Anyway, I handed it to members of my morning Graphics Team who by some insane coincidence wanted to catch some images to use on a Graphic Team blog. So in viewing these sweet little bits of freshness, it occurred to me that I need some organizational skills with a heavy emphasis on storage techniques. It did not help much that sweet Nichole is able to plan temple trips months or weeks in advance- I would guess I have became a fly by your seat kind of gal. I need help! I hate the confusion and the disarray. I have traffic flow of @ 100+ working Middle School students daily, so cleaning is not a huge priority on the part of the students ( it is for me but I am but one, lonely and confused). Did I mention I need help? I am not a natural organizer and I suffer from pack ratitus- some of us call it recycling which every well meaning teacher in the school contributes to. Soooooooo if you have advice-PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

3 comments:

The Borders said...

I'm not sure how this post slipped by me, because I check your blog a lot. However, I just saw this comment today. I do think I am a very organized person. As far as organizing digital pictures on the computer, we have a folder named for each month and year. Then when we load them (right away- if possible), we the subfolder (is that a word?) with the date of that month (like 14Oct08). But maybe with yours, since it has to do with art and classes, you could still use the main month and year folders, but then when you load them, name the subfolder by the class period and what the pictures are in reference to (a certain project). Are those the type if storage techniques you are talking about? As far as keeping the room clean, have you tried to make groups responsible for different tasks or areas of the room? I would be open with them and tell them that you can't do it all alone and that from now on, each group is in charge of keeping a certain station cleaned and organized. Myabe if you tell them your specific expectations of each area and how you want it, and have the same people in charge of the same spot every day, then they will be better about it and the mess won't get out of control.

The Borders said...

I forgot to mention that it is Picassa that we save all of the photos in.

liz said...

Nicole- your are my angel! put on your organizing cap and let me explain. I order supplies in large quantities.
So convienant storage is a large problem. Paint, colored pencils, paper, markers, metal,wire, paper mache, magazines, concrete, glass, drawing boards,etc. We have gone from 3 sinks to one tiny one...The maintience men have done everything but dig up the pipes...the other night they put "liquid fire" down the drain....My room is so large that it is easy to hid messes and with 100 students through in a day the mess is incredible! Thanks for you suggestions-if you think of anything that might help let me know!